search

Custom Search

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Sony VAIO VA TV-PC....

Sony announced their new All-in-One LCD TV and PC running Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005. The new Sony VAIO VA TV-PC VGC-VA10G and VGC-VA11G both remind me of an all-in-one iMac (monitor and computer combined in the same chassis). I own a Sony VAIO Media Center PC myself, but it's a traditional desktop PC, which sits on top of one of my speakers. I wish I had a thin horizontal Media Center PC so I could slide it on top of my other home theater components.

In any event, I can certainly see this combined "all-on-one" Sony unit (with built-in TV tuner card) being great for cramped quarters such as a dorm room, but I wouldn't stick this in my family room. It certainly might be good as a "2nd" TV when your roommate wants to watch something else, but it definitely is NOT a TV replacement. You are better off buying a Media Center PC that slides into your home entertainment theater shelving unit, such as the line of Media Center PCs offered by Alienware. (though there are other manufacturers that offer "horizontal" Media Center PCs that can slide into your theater's shelving.)